The National Disability Insurance Scheme Act 2013 defines an independent advocate, in relation to a person with disability, to mean a person who:
- Is independent of the Agency, the Commission and any NDIS providers providing supports or services to the person with disability
- Provides independent advocacy for the person with disability, to assist the person with disability to exercise choice and control and to have their voice heard in matters that affect them
- Acts at the direction of the person with disability, reflecting the person with disability’s expressed wishes, will, preferences and rights
- Is free of relevant conflicts of interest.
An independent advocate may be able to support a person with a disability where allegations of violence, abuse, neglect, exploitation or discrimination have been made.
Disability Advocacy Agencies (ACT):
ACT Disability Aged & Carer Advocacy Service Inc (ADACAS)
- Address: Unit 14 / 6 Gritten Street, Weston Community Hub, Weston, ACT 2611
- Postal: PO Box 3167, Weston Creek, ACT 2611
- Phone: (02) 6242 5060
- Email: email@example.com
Advocacy for Inclusion Incorporated
- Address: Suite 2 20 Genge St, Canberra ACT 2601
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 61 2 62574005