The transition back to school can be a worrying time for many of our kids especially if they are transitioning to a new school, or are not in a class with their friends.
There are a few things we can do to help make this transition easier!
- Get back into the typical school routine about a week before school goes back – no more holiday bed times!
- Detail can often be calming – walk through what they can expect in detail – I will walk you to the gate, your buddy will meet you and walk with you to the hall etc.
- Have your child help pack their bag and lunches so they know they can expect something they are in control of.
- Allow extra time on day one – no one feels happy if they are rushed. •Goodbyes can be tricky, a secret handshake or other fun ritual can be more encouraging and introduce less tears!
- Practice school routines at home in the week before going to school – i.e. lets get your hat and lunchbox so we can have lunch!
- Speak to classroom teachers if these are already known they are here to help!